Cricket | Archive | E-mail This Article
Selectors’ new battle
28 May, 2007
The selection panel faces a difficult task when it sits to choose a competitive team for the tour of Sri lanka in June-July.
The teams for three Tests and three one-dayers are expected to be named on June 4 after the June 2 executive committee meeting of the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB), which will also select new captain and vice-captain.
Chief selector Faruque Ahmed said on Monday that the one-day performance was not at all dissatisfactory despite a 2-0 defeat to India in the three-match series with the final match washed out in Chittagong, but he was worried with the outcome of the two Tests.
"I think we are more or less in the right track in one-day cricket but the Test performance has made our task difficult with a tough series in sight. But it was not unexpected as the boys played Tests after a long gap," Faruque said.
"It is not an excuse though, it is the fact. The important thing is we should have changed our approach in the longer-version but it is not easy as we played too much one-day cricket in the last one and half years."
Habibul Bashar's one-day fate is in the midst of all problems. The 34-year old Bangladesh skipper has already expressed his desire not to captain the one-day team but his decision means nothing as the board had already showed its intention not to continue him as one-day captain after his poor performance in the World Cup.
It has been all but established that Bashar kept his place in the one-day side only because of captaincy following a long bad patch, which makes it a challenge for the selectors to consider him for the one-day side.
"We respect his (Bashar) decision. But no doubt it's given us an opportunity to think about more options. We should think whether he fits because only his performance would count this time. We will compare him with other options," the former skipper cleared their stand.
On the other hand the repeated failure of Shahriar Nafees in both forms of game added more worries to the permanent problem in the opening slot. The left-handed opener has not only been dropped from the ODI side but also endangered a Test place after scoring 39 in four innings against India.
"It's really a worry for us because we have been trying hard to settle a opening pair. Nafees looked to be a solution after his brilliant run spree in the last year but suddenly, he has lost his rhythm," he said.
But the main question was whether the selectors will continue with their same old policy of carrying veteran Javed Omar as a temporary solution or make a fresh start in the next series.
It was learnt that the selection panel is in favour of taking a bold decision about Javed, considering some new guys for the tour, but Faruque said that he was not in a position to make any comment on team selection.
"It is too early to make comments because I have yet to sit with my colleagues. But I can assure you that we have to do everything with eyes on the future, especially the next World Cup in 2011," he said.